‘Dangerous’ Enfield man jailed for ‘brutal’ attempted murder

Botched robbery left victim almost dead in car on Enfield Highway residential street

Andrew Marangos (credit Met Police)
Andrew Marangos (credit Met Police)

A “very dangerous” Enfield man who attempted to kill an associate during a botched robbery has been jailed for 28 years – with police saying it was “miraculous” the victim survived.

Andrew Marangos, aged 43, was found guilty of attempted murder and two counts of possession of an offensive weapon in a public place following a trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court. He was sentenced immediately to 28 years’ imprisonment.

Marangos’ victim, who has not been named, was attacked just after 6pm on 11th January 2022 while the pair sat together in a car parked in Swan Way, Enfield Highway. The man in his 60s received multiple injuries after Marangos stabbed him 17 times – 16 times in the back of the head and the neck and once in the right lung, puncturing it. His leg also needed to be amputated after it was slammed in a car door while he attempted to call for help.

Detective Inspector Paul Ridley said: “This was a complex investigation adopting a range of technical and sophisticated policing techniques. It was imperative that Marangos was found before he could harm anyone else.

“The victim sustained some of the worst physical and multiple injuries I have ever encountered in a case of this nature and it was miraculous that he survived.”

Can you help us? Our membership scheme has many different options, starting from £3 per month, depending on your ability to contribute. Rewards include having a copy of the paper posted to you every month. Local businesses and charities can also sign up and, from as little as £10 per month, access discounts on advertising

The court heard that the victim had met Marangos on several occasions since October 2021 and, on 11th January this year, had picked Marangos up from his home address in Broadlands Avenue before driving him to Swan Way. Marangos began looking through his pockets – purporting to look for cash – before hitting the victim on the left side of his head with a metal bar, knocking him unconscious. While the victim was unconscious, Marangos stabbed him repeatedly.

The victim regained consciousness and realised he was badly injured as there was blood all over him, but did not realise he had been stabbed until the police told him. Marangos was shouting “where is it?” as he attempted to rob him of drugs. The victim still had his seatbelt on and panicked that he could not move, so he honked his horn in a bid to get help. Marangos ran around to the driver’s side and again asked the victim where the drugs were. The victim told Marangos to search the boot properly.

Cars were going by unaware of what was happening, so to try and get their attention the victim dangled his legs out of the car and shouted for help. Marangos rushed over to the driver’s side and rammed the door against the victim’s legs several times.

The victim asked Marangos how he was going to get away with it, and he replied: “Don’t worry, you’re not going to be around to find out.”

The victim debated about telling Marangos where the drugs were, but he believed Marangos would murder him as soon as he found them. At that point, Marangos fled from the scene and a member of the public who was driving by called the emergency services.

The victim was rushed to hospital with life-threatening injuries and received emergency surgery. His leg had to be amputated as a result of the attack. Detectives subsequently recovered clothing at Marangos’s address with the victim’s blood on it. Later, they found shoes that corresponded with the shoes seen on CCTV of a person running away from the scene. The weapons used in the attack, a metal pole and a butterfly knife, were found near to the scene of the crime.

Detective Inspector Ridley added: “Marangos is a very dangerous individual and an acute risk to the public, which is reflected by the sentence handed down by the judge. He clearly intended to kill the victim, exemplified by the sheer brutal and sustained force he used, armed with two dangerous weapons and leaving him for dead.

“It was through the tenacity shown by case officer Detective Constable Neha Chadda, and her supervisor Detective Sergeant Sen Aysan, that ensured Marangos was convicted.”

Marangos must serve at least two thirds of his sentence and cannot be released without permission from the parole board.

No news is bad news 

Independent news outlets like ours – reporting for the community without rich backers – are under threat of closure, turning British towns into news deserts. 

The audiences they serve know less, understand less, and can do less. 

If our coverage has helped you understand our community a little bit better, please consider supporting us with a monthly, yearly or one-off donation. 

Choose the news. Don’t lose the news.

Monthly direct debit 

Annual direct debit

£5 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else, £10 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else and a print copy posted to them each month. £50 annual supporters get a digital copy of each month's paper before anyone else.  

Donate now with Pay Pal

More information on supporting us monthly or yearly 

More Information about donations