News

Southgate man found dead in woodland after abduction

Turkish radio DJ said to have been abducted outside his home along with girlfriend, who was not harmed

Ebony Crescent in Southgate and (inset) DJ Koray

Three people have been arrested in connection with the death of a man found dead in an Essex woodland.

The Metropolitan Police is leading the investigation following the discovery of the body in Loughton yesterday morning, confirmed today to be the same man reported missing on Thursday along with his girlfriend.

A Turkish news website has identified the man as 43-year-old Koray Alpergin, also known as DJ Koray, who was a “well-known Turkish radio presenter” and founder of the London Turkish stations Bizim FM and Kral FM.

Essex Police had been called to the discovery of a man’s body in woodland near Oakwood Hill Industrial Estate at 11.55am on Saturday, 15th October. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Koray had been reported missing, along with his girlfriend, the previous day. It is now believed they were abducted in a vehicle outside Koray’s home in Ebony Crescent, Southgate, on Thursday night. Met Police officers had been working to locate the pair, prior to the discovery reported to Essex Police.

A post-mortem examination of Koray has yet to take place. The woman has been located and is physically unharmed. Police are providing specialist support to her and to Koray’s family.

Three men have been arrested in the Kent area in connection with the investigation and remain in police custody at this time.

Detective Chief Inspector Kate Kieran said: “I would like to first offer our most sincere condolences to the family of the man who has died. My team and I are working 24/7 to establish exactly what has happened.


This story is published by Enfield Dispatch, Enfield's free monthly newspaper and free news website. We are a not-for-profit publication, published by a small social enterprise. We have no rich backers and rely on the support of our readers. Donate or become a supporter.


“This is a very complex and fast-moving investigation involving multiple units across the MPS [Met Police], as well as invaluable support from our colleagues in Essex Police.

“While the investigation remains at an early stage, a key line of enquiry is that the man and woman were taken against their will in a vehicle on Thursday night.

“I need anyone who was in the Ebony Crescent area on the night of Thursday, 13th October, and may have witnessed something suspicious, to contact police immediately. I urge people to check doorbell camera or dash cam footage – you may have captured something that could prove crucial to our investigation.

“A police presence will remain in the Oakwood Hill Industrial Estate area for the coming days as we work to complete further enquiries. We offer our apologies to anyone inconvenienced by the disruption of road closures.

“I’d appeal to any local people in the area who might also have helpful information, video and images to contact us.

“I can assure residents in Enfield and Essex that we are doing absolutely everything we can to understand the chain of events here, and bring to justice those responsible.”

Chief Superintendent Caroline Haines, lead for policing in Enfield, said: “We understand the considerable concern this will evoke among local people. We are working to support our colleagues in specialist crime and will remain visibly present in the Ebony Crescent area as further enquiries are conducted.

“I urge local people to approach these officers with any concerns you have, and especially information that can help us. Support from the local community is invaluable in our effort to tackle violent crime.”

Anyone who has information that could help police should call 101 or tweet @MetCC using crime reference CAD 3901/14 Oct.

To remain 100% anonymous contact the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111


No news is bad news 

Independent news outlets like ours – reporting for the community without rich backers – are under threat of closure, turning British towns into news deserts. 

The audiences they serve know less, understand less, and can do less. 

In celebration of Indie News Week, Public Interest News Foundation's Indie News Fund will match fund all donations, including new annual supporter subscriptions for the month of June.

If our coverage has helped you understand our community a little bit better, please consider supporting us with a monthly, yearly or one-off donation. 

Choose the news. Don’t lose the news.

Monthly direct debit 

Annual direct debit

£5 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else, £10 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else and a print copy posted to them each month. £50 annual supporters get a digital copy of each month's paper before anyone else.  

Donate now with Pay Pal

More information on supporting us monthly or yearly 

More Information about donations