News

Jubilee Park killer given life sentence

Lukasz Siemienowicz murdered Edmonton market trader Julio Gomes in September 2019

Lukasz Siemienowicz has been convicted of the murder of Julio Gomes
Lukasz Siemienowicz has been convicted of the murder of Julio Gomes

A man who murdered an Edmonton market trader in Jubilee Park has been handed a life sentence.

Lukasz Siemienowicz, 41, of Croyland Road in Edmonton, was today sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court to a minimum of 22 years’ imprisonment.

He was previously found guilty of murdering 29-year-old Julio Gomes, who was stabbed to death in September 2019.

During sentencing, judge Martyn Zeidman QC said: “This was a totally unprovoked knife attack upon a good and innocent member of the public. Whatever sentence I impose, you have sent the family to a life of mourning.”

Murder victim Julio Gomes, a market trader at Edmonton Green
Murder victim Julio Gomes, a market trader at Edmonton Green Shopping Centre

Prior to the trial, Siemienowicz had entered a guilty plea to one count of manslaughter and another of possession of a knife, but had contested the count of murder.


This story is published by Enfield Dispatch, Enfield's free monthly newspaper and free news website. We are a not-for-profit publication, published by a small social enterprise. We have no rich backers and rely on the support of our readers. Donate or become a supporter.


The court heard that Julio, a father of three children, was attacked in the grounds of Old Edmontonians’ Sports and Social Club, in Jubilee Park. Julio, who also had a second job as a cleaner to support his family, was stabbed a little after 8pm on Saturday, 14th September 2019.

Julio had recently finished his shift working at Edmonton Green Market and had gone to the park to relax. He was stabbed near the grandstand, around 65 metres from the clubhouse, and then tried to run away, but was pursued across the park by a “drunk and drug-fuelled” Siemienowicz.

The chase came to an end near the clubhouse and was witnessed by a man and woman who were having a drink nearby. Before he lost consciousness, Julio told the pair: “The man’s mad, he’s just stabbed me.”

Bleeding heavily, Julio collapsed. The woman took off her hoodie to apply pressure to what was a serious stomach wound, while the man dialled 999. Despite the best efforts of paramedics and police officers, Julio was pronounced dead at the scene and a post-mortem examination found the cause of death was a stab wound to the abdomen.

In a previous statement Julio’s mother, Cadi Gomes, said: “Julio was our golden boy, our first-born child. He belonged to a humble, respectful and honest family and he had a determined work ethic.

“He has three children, twin boys aged twelve and a daughter aged eight. We know nothing will bring Julio back to us and we hope seeing the man who killed him convicted will bring us a little peace.”


No news is bad news 

Independent news outlets like ours – reporting for the community without rich backers – are under threat of closure, turning British towns into news deserts. 

The audiences they serve know less, understand less, and can do less. 

In celebration of Indie News Week, Public Interest News Foundation's Indie News Fund will match fund all donations, including new annual supporter subscriptions for the month of June.

If our coverage has helped you understand our community a little bit better, please consider supporting us with a monthly, yearly or one-off donation. 

Choose the news. Don’t lose the news.

Monthly direct debit 

Annual direct debit

£5 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else, £10 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else and a print copy posted to them each month. £50 annual supporters get a digital copy of each month's paper before anyone else.  

Donate now with Pay Pal

More information on supporting us monthly or yearly 

More Information about donations