News

Police officer sacked after crashing cop car in Enfield while drunk

PC Bryson Kisten admitted drink driving while behind the wheel of an unmarked police car in Chase Side

A police officer who admitted drink driving while on duty in Enfield has been dismissed without notice.

PC Bryson Kisten had been involved in a damage-only collision while driving an unmarked police car in Chase Side, Enfield Town, on the afternoon of Saturday, 30th September.

Following the crash, PC Kisten attended a Metropolitan Police traffic garage, and colleagues felt it was clear he had been drinking and asked him to take a breath test. The two readings were 48 and 43 micrograms of alcohol per 100 milliliters of breath – the legal limit is 35.

The officer, who was attached to the north area basic command unit covering Enfield and Haringey, was charged with drink-driving on 1st October and pleaded guilty at his first court appearance.


This story is published by Enfield Dispatch, Enfield's free monthly newspaper and free news website. We are a not-for-profit publication, published by a small social enterprise. We have no rich backers and rely on the support of our readers. Donate or become a supporter.


At Willesden Magistrates’ Court in October PC Kisten was banned from driving for twelve months and told to pay a £438 fine, £85 court fees and £175 victim surcharge.

At a misconduct hearing held yesterday (Wednesday 13th) a misconduct panel found PC Kisten’s actions breached the standards of professional behaviour in regard to discreditable conduct and fitness for duty.

He was dismissed without notice.

Detective Chief Superintendent Caroline Haines, in charge of policing in Enfield, said: “It is completely unacceptable that PC Kisten was driving a police vehicle while over the alcohol limit.

“As a police officer, he should have known the danger that drink driving poses to other road users. I am pleased he has been caught and prosecuted due to the diligence of traffic officers who suspected he had been drinking and made him complete a breath test.”


No news is bad news 

Independent news outlets like ours – reporting for the community without rich backers – are under threat of closure, turning British towns into news deserts. 

The audiences they serve know less, understand less, and can do less. 

In celebration of Indie News Week, Public Interest News Foundation's Indie News Fund will match fund all donations, including new annual supporter subscriptions for the month of June.

If our coverage has helped you understand our community a little bit better, please consider supporting us with a monthly, yearly or one-off donation. 

Choose the news. Don’t lose the news.

Monthly direct debit 

Annual direct debit

£5 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else, £10 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else and a print copy posted to them each month. £50 annual supporters get a digital copy of each month's paper before anyone else.  

Donate now with Pay Pal

More information on supporting us monthly or yearly 

More Information about donations