News

Warning over ‘hoverboard’ safety after Brimsdown blaze

London Fire Brigade issues safety advice after flat fire

Celadon Close in Brimsdown and (inset) a 'hoverbaord'
Celadon Close in Brimsdown and (inset) a ‘hoverbaord’

A faulty ‘hoverboard’ sparked a flat fire in Brimsdown – and prompted London Fire Brigade to issue a safety warning.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters tackled the fire in Celadon Close yesterday (23rd). Part of a five-roomed flat on the first floor of a residential block was damaged by fire. There were no reports of injuries. 

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by a fault in an electrical hoverboard – not the type used by Marty McFly in the Back to the Future films, but a self-balancing scooter.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Always follow manufacturers’ instructions when charging items, like hoverboards, and we would advise not to leave it unattended or while people are asleep.                               


This story is published by Enfield Dispatch, Enfield's free monthly newspaper and free news website. We are a not-for-profit publication, published by a small social enterprise. We have no rich backers and rely on the support of our readers. Donate or become a supporter.


“Batteries are susceptible to failure if incorrect chargers are used, so it’s important to always use the correct charger for the product and buy an official one from a reputable seller.

“Batteries can also pose a risk if they have been damaged, so try to ensure they are not getting knocked around while in use as this can increase the chance of damage to cells. You should also not expose them to extremes of temperature.”

London Fire Brigade was called at 4.39pm and the fire was under control by 5.37pm. Fire crews from Enfield, Edmonton and Chingford fire stations attended the scene.    

London Fire Brigade’s top electrical safety tips: 

  • Don’t use imitation electrical chargers, as they may be unsafe 
  • Make sure electrical appliances have a British or European safety mark when you buy them 
  • Unplugging appliances and chargers when you are not using them or when you go to bed helps reduce the risk of fire 
  • Keep to one plug per socket 
  • Remember: scorch marks, flickering lights, hot plugs and sockets, fuses that low or circuit-breakers that trip for no obvious reasons could be signs of loose or dangerous wiring

No news is bad news 

Independent news outlets like ours – reporting for the community without rich backers – are under threat of closure, turning British towns into news deserts. 

The audiences they serve know less, understand less, and can do less. 

In celebration of Indie News Week, Public Interest News Foundation's Indie News Fund will match fund all donations, including new annual supporter subscriptions for the month of June.

If our coverage has helped you understand our community a little bit better, please consider supporting us with a monthly, yearly or one-off donation. 

Choose the news. Don’t lose the news.

Monthly direct debit 

Annual direct debit

£5 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else, £10 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else and a print copy posted to them each month. £50 annual supporters get a digital copy of each month's paper before anyone else.  

Donate now with Pay Pal

More information on supporting us monthly or yearly 

More Information about donations