News

Worker dies at incinerator construction site

Man in his 50s was hit by a heavy goods vehicle at Edmonton Eco Park

Construction work has begun on the controversial new incinerator at Edmonton Eco Park. It is being built next to the existing, 51-year-old incinerator, allowing it to continue burning waste from across North London until the new facility is complete – expected to be within three years (credit North London Waste Authority)
Construction work began on a new incinerator at Edmonton Eco Park earlier this year (credit North London Waste Authority)

A construction worker has died after being hit by a lorry at the construction site for the new Edmonton incinerator.

A joint statement from North London Waste Authority and Acciona, the construction company, confirmed the fatal incident took place last Wednesday at Edmonton Eco Park.

It said: “This statement is to confirm with great sadness, that a fatality occurred on Wednesday afternoon (23rd November) at Edmonton Eco Park. It involved a colleague working on the energy recovery facility construction site.


This story is published by Enfield Dispatch, Enfield's free monthly newspaper and free news website. We are a not-for-profit publication, published by a small social enterprise. We have no rich backers and rely on the support of our readers. Donate or become a supporter.


“As a result work on the energy recovery facility site has been suspended. Our heartfelt thoughts are with the family, friends, and colleagues of the deceased team member. We are offering support to those affected during this extremely difficult time.

“Investigations by the Metropolitan Police and the Health and Safety Executive are underway. Acciona are working very closely with their partners to assist with the investigation.”

A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said: “Police were called by LAS [London Ambulance Service] at 3.09pm on Wednesday, 23rd November to Edmonton Eco Park following a collision on a building site involving a man and a heavy goods vehicle.

“The man, aged in his 50s, was pronounced dead at the scene. His family have been informed.

“Police investigation is ongoing. The Health and Safety Executive is providing support.”


We know times are hard

If you are struggling to make ends meet, we are keeping Enfield Dispatch free because of you. We know that many people cannot afford to pay for local news, so this website and our print paper will always be free. If you can afford to, and value what we do, a small monthly, yearly or one-off contribution can support us to keep providing quality journalism for Enfield to our community for free.

Monthly direct debit 

Annual direct debit

£5 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else, £10 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else and a print copy posted to them each month. £50 annual supporters get a digital copy of each month's paper before anyone else.  

Donate now with Pay Pal

More information on supporting us monthly or yearly 

More Information about donations