Hospital order for man who rammed car into police station

Adam Pawlowski rammed car into Edmonton Police Station and then tried to set it alight

A man who drove a car into the entrance of Edmonton Police Station and tried to set it on fire has been sentenced to an indefinite hospital order.

CCTV footage shows how Adam Pawlowski, aged 46, of Bury Street in Edmonton Green, rammed his BMW into the police station, revved his engine to fill the area with smoke, then got out and poured petrol into the station and from the site of the crash into the road, in front of a bus, and set it alight.

Before the fire could reach the police station, however, a still-unidentified member of the public apprehended Pawlowski, moments before police officers arrived to arrest him and extinguish the flames.

The entire incident on 11th November 2020, at around 7pm, was captured on CCTV that has been released following Pawlowski’s sentencing today at Wood Green Crown Court.

As well as the hospital order, Pawlowski was disqualified from driving for twelve months, with a requirement to take an extended vehicle test before driving again.

He had pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to dangerous driving, criminal damage, and attempted arson reckless to life being endangered. A charge of attempted arson with intent to endanger life was left to lie on file.

Adam Pawlowski
Adam Pawlowski

Fortunately, no-one in the street or in the police station was hurt, and there was no serious damage to the building. The station was evacuated as a precaution. The incident was assessed and it was determined there were no links to terrorism.

Pawlowski later said he had been planning the incident for around two-and-a-half years, choosing the date and time because the numbers ‘1’ and ‘7’ were personally significant to him.

It was established that Pawlowski held a grudge against police following previous interactions he had had, including one in which his car was stolen and never found after a police investigation.

The judge commented on the sense of “shock, disbelief and fear which unfolded”, and also commended officers for the speed and professionalism of their response.

Chief Superintendent Simon Crick, head of policing for Haringey and Enfield, said: “When shown parts of the footage during police interview Pawlowski laughed, but the actions he took that day could have had devastating consequences.

“The officers who responded were confronted with a chaotic and frightening scenario but acted with the utmost courage and bravery to swiftly detain Pawlowski.

“Following the incident support was provided to the staff who man our front counter, who were going about their work when this distressing ordeal unfolded. Very luckily, no-one was injured.

“The member of the public who helped apprehend Pawlowski left the scene was never traced, despite extensive efforts. I’d like to extend our thanks to them for their bravery in assisting my officers.”