News

Industrial estate expansion set to provide hundreds of extra jobs

Plans for further expansion of Montagu Industrial Estate approved by councillors, reports Simon Allin, Local Democracy Reporter

Montagu Industrial Estate (credit Enfield Council)
New units recently completed at Montagu Industrial Estate (credit Enfield Council)

Plans to complete the redevelopment of an Edmonton industrial estate to provide more employment space have been approved by councillors.

The redevelopment of the council-owned Montagu Industrial Estate will see existing buildings demolished and replaced by new industrial units, with the increase in workspace designed to support between 695 and 1,000 full-time jobs.

Parts of the estate have already been redeveloped, and proposals to complete the works were presented to a meeting of Enfield Council’s planning committee on Wednesday. Officers told the committee the site currently supports 611 full-time employees.

Under the plans, an existing waste management area will be relocated from the centre of the site to its eastern edge. The rest of the site will then be redeveloped to provide up to 40,000 square metres of employment floorspace in modern industrial units up to 28 metres high.


This story is published by Enfield Dispatch, Enfield's free monthly newspaper and free news website. We are a not-for-profit publication, published by a small social enterprise. We have no rich backers and rely on the support of our readers. Donate or become a supporter.


Although the new industrial units will be taller than their predecessors, the reports state that the site is in a “well-established industrial area and has co-existed with residential properties for decades” and the scheme “would not be harmful to the amenities of nearby residential plots”.

A banqueting suite currently using the site will not be given space in the new development. Planning reports state that its temporary planning permission has lapsed and that its loss “does not represent a ground to refuse planning permission”. The council is working with a church using the site, which does have planning permission, to find alternative premises.

Under questioning from committee members, planning officer Gideon Whittingham told the committee the relocation of the church would be secured by a legal agreement, and the intention was to find a site within the borough.

He added that an independent tenant location agent had been employed by the council to help businesses affected by the development to relocate within their “catchment area” inside the borough.

The plans were unanimously approved by members of the committee. They will now be referred to London mayor Sadiq Khan, who will make a final decision on the scheme.


We know times are hard

If you are struggling to make ends meet, we are keeping Enfield Dispatch free because of you. We know that many people cannot afford to pay for local news, so this website and our print paper will always be free. If you can afford to, and value what we do, a small monthly, yearly or one-off contribution can support us to keep providing quality journalism for Enfield to our community for free.

Monthly direct debit 

Annual direct debit

£5 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else, £10 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else and a print copy posted to them each month. £50 annual supporters get a digital copy of each month's paper before anyone else.  

Donate now with Pay Pal

More information on supporting us monthly or yearly 

More Information about donations